Chemistry Honors: Final Post
[this post last updated Thursday, May 26th @ 7:45 am]
Final Week of Class Dates
- Monday, May 23 – Friday May 27th
- Each Class Period = 3 Meetings
Final Exam Dates
- Period A: Thursday, June 2nd (8:30 am – 10:30 am)
- Perod B: Thursday, June 2nd (12:30 pm – 2:30 pm)
- Period F: Friday, June 3rd (8:30 am – 10:30 am)
Lab Final Assignment
- The lab final will consist of completing a single experiment
- A full lab report (in LNB) is to be submitted by the end of the period.
- Note: the “Background Theory” and “Procedure” sections will not be graded on your final report.
- Students will complete a written quiz at the completion of the lab. The lab quiz consist of up to FOUR of the provided questions.
- One last clarification for the final lab period: you may not bring or use your iPad during the final lab period at all. Also, not outside notes maybe brought in to transfer into your LNB after May 27th.
Rules for the Lab Final
- Your LNB will remain in class for the remainder of the course. You may come in during OH and lunch (as appropriate) if you wish.
- Your phone will be collected and held during class periods, as you will not be able to use your phone while in the classroom for the remainder of the course.
- You may not take pictures of any content in your LNB with your iPad
- You may not use your iPad at any point while conducting the lab and a printed copy of the lab instructions will be provided to you and will remain in the classroom with your LNB .
- All information must be directly recorded in the LNB according to the established guidelines
- Tearing out any page for any reason is strictly prohibited (and always has been!)
- While students will collaborate to conduct and analyze the lab, each will work independently to complete the report and answer the quiz questions at the end.
- Students are allowed to only ask questions (of the teacher) that relate to the safety of the lab and location of lab materials.
- You are being evaluated on your ability to apply the course content and lab processes you have practiced the entire year: be the strong scientist I have coached you to be!
- This particular lab activity has been conducted countless times over many years all across the country.
- Therefore, as you imagine, help can be found in many places on the InterWebs.
- Sites that might help: EX1, EX2, EX3, VID1, VID2, VID3, VID4, VID5, SITE1
Class Meeting A
- teacher presentation overviews the chemistry of the lab
- teacher reviews the procedure and measurements associated with the lab
- students work in the LNB to prepare for the lab
Class Meeting B
- students continue working on the lab preparation
- Note: for those that are ready, the option exists to start the lab
Class Meeting C
- All groups start (or continue to work) on the lab
Final Exam Class Meeting
- Finish the lab
- answer quiz questions (written)
- Note: You will use a classroom calculator during the final quiz
- submit final LNB with full lab report
- Please – and I BEG YOU – do not overdo this lab. Focus on what has been coached all year long and what needs to be included in the lab report.
- Also, no resubmitted work will be allowed for the final week of class.
- While I understand that you might want another chance to submit work just returned to you, this extra (free point policy) class bonus is now finished for the semester.
- Any questions about past work must be asked during Office Hours
You must be logged in to post a comment.