AP Chemistry – Class 58
- Period E – Wednesday, January 23rd
- Period F – Wednesday, January 23rd
Big Idea: Where are the bonding electrons?
Limitations of atomic orbitals
- geometry of s, p, d, f orbitals?
- geometry of molecules?
- compare – do they match? no!
- need a different system
- explains location of electrons in a bonding situation
- think of as blending atomic orbitals
- perimeter atoms don’t hybridize
What about multiple bonds?
- must match geometry with hybridized orbitals
- count multiple as bonding area
- extra bonds use left over, unhybridized, “p” orbitals
- along axis = sigma
- parallel to axis = pi
Examples from Lab
- Assign hybridization to all atoms for the examples used during the lab.
Images Used During Class
Sigma and Pi Bonding
You must be logged in to post a comment.