Chemistry Honors – Class 09
What is under the table?
- Periods B, D: Thursday, September 11th
- Period G: Friday, September 12th
- how do we “see” anything? what is the mechanism?
- how do we hear anything? what is the mechanism?
- hanging model of the atom in middle school – how do you know what it looked like?
- how do scientists know these things?
- Modeling – creating explanations for the unknown
Modeling the Unseen (Activity)
- Mission: Create a model for what is under the table
- Rules: no looking – use only a golf ball to collect data
- Student roles: recorder (@ board), sender, receiver, marker
- Observers: record as much information as possible
- Tools: markers, meter stick, golf ball
- Table dimensions: 137 cm x 122 cm
- Objective: create a model for what is under the table
- Note: do not think of this as a guessing game
- Characteristics: size? shape? attachment? orientation?
- Final Product – draw picture of what is under the table
- Discussion: what do we know? what more could we do?
- draw a model of what could be under the table
- indicate the characteristics
- complete this in the LNB