CH37 – Lab Day
- P1 – Tuesday, April 25th
- P3 – Tuesday, April 25th
- P5 – Monday, April 24th
Lab Day Notes
- OK to use tap water for everything
- sig figs –> temperature measurement
- two metal choices: A & B
- don’t use “too much” metal sample
- cannot use “wet” metal – be sure and return metal “dry”
- Calculations / Analysis / Conclusion in LNB
- What metal is your answer?
- Due Date: Class 39 (long block)
Lab Questions (you should know how to answer – with support – for next test)
- Why did I have to boil the water? What is true about boiling that is special?
- When should I have placed the metal into the water?
- Did the metal have to be in the water for 10 minutes? Why?
- Did it matter that I used tap water? (not distilled)
- Did the thermometer impact the result of the lab when I used it to stir?
- Where should the thermometer be placed to measure temp of water?
- What happens if water drips from test tube when metal is moved to calorimeter?
- How long should it take to move the metal to the calorimeter after heating?
- Did the amount (mass) of metal used impact uncertainty in the lab?
- Why did I measure the volume of water in calorimeter? What formula uses this?
- Did the volume of the bath water impact result of the lab?