CH08 – Orbitals
- P1 – Tuesday, September 13th
- P3 – Wednesday, September 14th
- P5 – Wednesday, September 14th
- full spectrum
- visible spectrum
- key equations – meaning
- focus – this is just the evidence of quantization
- E levels = 1, 20, 28, 30 (joules)
- How many lines?
- Draw quick spectrum
- (note – don’t convert to m or nm)
New Material – Orbitals
- so what do these levels look like?
- probability! of finding electron in a given location!
- activity: campus map (handout)
- indicate where you are every 10 minutes
- draw line around where you are probably
- what do the larkings mean?
But what does it LOOK like?
- described by combinations of four numbers
- n = principal QN
- l = angular momentum QN
- ml = magnetic QN
- ms = spin QN
- rules for each number
- generate a table – start with n=1
- finish the table through n = 4