CP07 – Naming
- Groups have names!
- Textbook section 3.2 (Please know these)
- subscripts / coefficients
- examples (book practice below)
- there is a naming “tree”
- need to know and use it when assigning a name to a substance
- periodic table is key!
- always keep in mind: it is possible that an element is NOT using the standard charge as predicted by its location on the periodic table
Naming – Part 1: Ionic Substances
- could be polyatomic ion
- examples & practice
- Wait until class on Monday to start this HW below
- sorry for the last minute change!
- Ch. 6 (6, 8)
- Study for the memorization quiz
- Yahoo! Our first quiz!
- Q provides element name
- Student writes symbol and valence or valences
- Provided with PT only
- Quick – 5 minutes only