CP08 – Naming Mania!
- Monday, September 11th
- Long Block (after lunch)
- Yahoo! Our first quiz!
- Q provides element name
- Student writes symbol and valence or valences
- Provided with PT only
- Quick – 5 minutes only
Homework – Ch. 6 (on the board)
- #6 – writing names from formulas
- #8 – writing combinations of formulas
- what are the challenges?
- what materials do I need to write names from formulas?
New Idea – Nomenclature of Covalent Compounds
- do not contain ions or metals
- completely different system
- based upon greek prefixes (see above)
New Idea – Nomenclature of Acids
- acids start with “H”
- two types
- see naming “tree” for details
- need to know polyatomic ions to complete
- study for the naming quiz
- will ask only about ionic substances
- only provided with PT
- will be asked about PA ions